Monday, January 08, 2007

I'm so classy!




This year for Christmas we (us + all our friends) decided that we weren't going to buy presents b/c it's just too expensive. We all made a dish and brought it to our Merry Christmas Dinner on New Years Eve. It was a blast. I stuffed my first turkey and we got to have our first big party in the garage.

The Tale of Turkey #1...
I was sick the night before New Years Eve and doing math with Sarah (neither of us can do math so add that to the fact that it was 11:30 and I wasn't feeling well). We figured out it would take 7 hours to cook a 13.5 lb turkey... we were a little wrong. This turkey was done at 2:00... dinner was at 6:00... I frantically called Mom, Dad & Grandma to see what I should do. End result was I turned down the roaster oven as low as it would go and flipped the bird upside down so the breast was resting in the juices. This way it stayed warm and wouldn't dry out.

The Tale of Turkey #2...
Having 20+ people for dinner we knew we needed more than one so we decided we would deep fry this one. Neal & Ange have a fryer so they brought that over, warmed up the oil and I got the turkey washed, seasoned, and put on the fryer thing. Neal & Joey came up to get it and bring it to the fryer. I handed them the bird and moved on... next thing I know the turkey is back on my counter and everyone is asking Neal if he's ok. Our railing ends before the stairs to going to the basement and so when he thought he was on his last step and really had 2-3 more to go... Turkey flew across the room and landed on the floor and Neal went straight down. Thank goodness this would be stuck in really hot oil that cooked off the basement bits, (yes I did rinse it and re-season... but you couldn't get some off, LOL)

The ham we made was PERFECT so no tale for that. I just thought this picture is funny. I wanted to use my Cookie Grandma's china, so we put it on the table and then needed cups. Well I don't have 20+ nice cups so we used Turkey Testicle Festival cups... really classy huh?!



Dinner was great and the rest of the night was a blast too!




Thanks to everyone who brought something, Dad for donating two turkeys, and to Andy for doing all of the carving!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the big group picture, is that Dan S. sitting next to Eddie? How I can't believe all of you guys stayed close after all these years. That is AWESOME!

Anonymous said...

I meant WOW, not HOW