Friday, December 22, 2006

My Trip to San Francisco

Some of you know I just got back (actually 1:30 am on 12/15/06) from San Francisco for a work trip. While I was there I was supposed to land, eat at TGIFridays and go back to sleep at my room. Seeing that I have NEVER been to this part of California I was NOT happy with this schedule so I made my own. The plane landed late and I got my bag to the hotel room, charged my cell phone and hopped on the shuttle back to the airport. Once I was there I hopped on the BART (Bay Area Rail Transportation) and went to downtown San Francisco. I read a few weeks ago (before I knew about my trip) that Cable Cars are the only mobile national monument (Uncle John’s Bathroom reader is full of useful information isn’t it?) so my goal was to ride on one of these… I WOULD fine one! I got off the train went to the city level and turned in a circle to soak up the view. I swore I was in Chicago, there was Nordstrom’s, Bloomingdales and all the standard city shops so I set off on foot to find the cable cars. Little did I know that if I had walked forward 20 feet (instead of down 5 blocks and over 4) I would have been right at the oldest cable car turn around there is down there. So I got back and hopped on. The car took me all the way down to Fisherman’s Warf and I got to see the Bay Bridge and Alcatraz Island (which at that time at night was just a lighthouse… but I saw it). Thank goodness for baby Brooklyn; Mollie was up to walk down to the water with me b/c there wasn’t ANYBODY around except some guy playing his guitar for cash so it was nice to have someone to talk to!

I wouldn’t settle to eat at a Burger King or anywhere I can get back home so I found this seafood place Nick’s Lighthouse that had a booth outside with all of it’s food (there were crabs still moving around waiting to be cooked). I ordered a lobster bisque bread bowl and did what everyone else did… stood out of the misting rain under a dripping awning and ate standing up. It was really fun! I hopped back on the cable car and got a free ride back because the driver told everyone “This is my valentine for this year, have you met her”, he was the same driver that dropped me off down there so I was happy to have a familiar face heading back. The cable car ride was about 30 minutes each way, it was getting late and I could feel the time change starting to wear me down. I went straight to the BART and headed home. The next day was all business so nothing really to write home about… OH BUT I did get to see the Northern lights last night from the plane along with 7 shooting stars. The stars must have been left over from the meteor shower on Wednesday night.

Can't get this stupid thing to upload the pic's I took on the cable car so I'm just posting this right now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

QUOTING UNCLE JOHN
CLASSIC

ALSO I AM SO PROUD TO SEE YOU LOOK AT A BURGER KING AND THEN SOME PLACE YOU HAVE NEVER BEEN AND YOU JUST TRY SOMETHING NEW
I WOULD HAVE BEEN MAD IF YOU WENT TO THE BURGER KING

LOVE YA
BRO